Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's a sad state of affairs . . .

ME FIRST MATE, SHE SENT ME A LINK T'OTHER DAY.  LOOKS LIKE WE'RE HEADED FOR A ROCKY LEE SHORE IN AMERICAN CHRISTIANITY.  THE VIDEO'S FUNNY.  SHOOK ME IN ME BOOTS WHEN I WERE WATCHING IT.  BUT THE WEBSITE'S A DREAD THING TO LOOK AT.  PEOPLE TAKING TELEVISION COMEDIANS AN' MAKIN' THEM THE PITCHERS O' WHAT GOD BE DOIN'.  WE BE SINKIN' FAST IF WE WATCHES THE CULTURE INSTEAD O' THE WORD OF GOD.


In case you didn't gather it, the note above was scrawled and pinned to my desk with Cap'n Salty's dagger.  Cap'n always talks in capitals.  He says he isn't yelling, just shouting for joy.  I'm not sure about that, but he always talks in capitals.

Among the other comments on the Monday Morning Insight post I saw that some enthusiastic person was going to use these ideas of wonderment in his Christmas series in church.

What are we doing when we turn to Conan O'Brian and his guests (this one is quite funny) for theological insight?  Where's the Bible?  What's the message of Advent and Christmas?  The message is that our Lord is coming for judgment and redemption.  It isn't that physics is really neat.

Despite the hectic pace of the next few weeks I hope to be posting regularly on my Alex Kirk blog as we walk through lectionary readings for Advent.  

1 comment:

MagistraCarminum said...

Dave-
I was glad to see Cap'n Salty make an appearance here. It was a funny clip. But I scratch my head in wonder at the thought that this will be in a sermon series. To what end?
Thanks for the food for thought-
Chris