Monday, September 14, 2009

A time for beginnings

Today is the day I officially consider "New Year's Day."  My school classes begin.  I've been on an academic year schedule now in one role or another for 40 years, so it just seems that the start of school is what denotes a new year.  Here are a few things I need to remember today.

1) Though I have seen this class material lots of times, my students have not.  What is old hat to me is new to them.  It may be new and interesting, new and perplexing, new and easy, new and difficult - regardless, it is new. 

2) Even though some of my students were with me last year they are not exactly the same people I remember them as.  They have changed.  I have changed.  And my understanding of them is imperfect at best.

3) Thirty years from now some of my students may remember the subject matter I teach them.  Most of them will not.  My teaching, while it is centered on subject matter, ultimately deals with more important issues, such as integrity, the way we approach a challenge, how to tie one branch of learning to another, and living in relationship with others in an academic setting.  Thirty years ago few of today's students will face a Latin sentence to understand.  They will, however, face situations in which they have to make wise decisions based on the data they see.

4) In teaching my classes I am loving and serving my neighbor, who needs my good works.  I am doing this because my Lord and Savior has loved and served me. 

Lord, help me to love and serve my neighbor as you loved and served this world, giving yourself for its greatest need.  May I be faithful with what you have given me so my neighbors can receive what you would give them.

--
Dave Spotts
blogging at http://capnsaltyslongvoyage.blogspot.com and http://alex-kirk.blogspot.com


1 comment:

MagistraCarminum said...

Excellent reminders, Dave!
Chris