Friday, July 8, 2011

1, Judges 3.7-31, Acts 13.42-52 - Lectionary for 7/8/11

Today's readings are Psalm 16.5-11, Judges 3.7-31, and Acts 13.42-52.

There's something telling in the response of Paul and Barnabas to their critics in Acts 13.46. To the Jews who objected to the popular appeal of the Gospel, Paul and Barnabas said, "It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles" (ESV). See how the apostolic view is that God's word calls people to faith, but the people can reject the grace of God. We are well warned. God's word does go forth and create faith in our hearts. But we can and do consider ourselves unworthy of the riches of God. What then? God eventually allows us to go our way. The more we reject God's grace, the easier it becomes. May the Lord give us tender hearts, to hear and believe the Gospel, not to trust in ourselves.

2 comments:

Chris O said...

Would you mind commenting on how your comments on this Lectionary relate to the Reform idea of "irresistible grace"? Is the point of view expressed here a Lutheran perspective?

Cap'n Salty said...

Chris,
I was never able to make biblical sense of the doctrine of irresistible grace. That and particular atonement were the first two points of Calvinism I realized I had trouble with. It seems throughout Scripture that people do resist the grace of God. Consider, for example, how Israel, God's chosen people, were able to rebel against God.

As far as I can understand it, the way I posted here is a classic Lutheran point of view. I know I have a few readers who can correct me if I'm wrong.