Saturday, December 31, 2011

Retooling for 2012

We'll be doing a little retooling for 2012. You can expect a little interruption at first. Don't worry, the Marmoset is not sinking (we hope). Here's what's in store for this upcoming year.

First off, after following the lectionary through the Church year for several years and having come to love that framework for my life and teaching, I'm seeing a need within my local congregation. We have people who, though they have been walking as Christians for many years, have not read through the Scripture. This is not the best way to be nourished in Christ. So at Faith Lutheran Church we are celebrating 2012 as the Year of the Bible. We will be encouraging people in reading through the entire Bible during the year. This project will involve reading about five chapters a day on five days a week. I hope my readers will join us in the challenge.

Instead of a daily lectionary post, then, I'll plan on posting the day's reading and a few (hopefully) thought provoking questions or observations.

My preaching will be a little different as well. Though our congregational readings will continue to follow the three-year lectionary, I will pick a passage from our reading challenge for the week which is also related to the theme of the time of the church year, at least as much as possible.

It's shaping up to be a very busy time in life during the upcoming five months. In addition to wrapping up my last full-time year at The Potter's School and my first nearly full-time year in pastoral ministry, I have two seminary classes to complete. I have to question whether I can read as quickly and as well as I will be required to. But it's all part of seeing how God's providence will work in me despite challenges. Though I am not prepared for the challenge I know my Savior is.

While giving updates, by the way, I should observe that during the month of December we hit a new record for page views in a month. It's less than 700, which may make people roll their eyes thinking nobody ever comes to this blog. But I appreciate each person who spends a moment looking at what I'm laying out on the blog. I pray that somehow I can be an encouragement to you, even though I probably have no idea who you are. May the Lord bless you and keep you!

No comments: