Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Time for Graduate School?

Last time I was in graduate school I managed to get a Christmas present I have cherished for quite a while. Faced with those cold days and nights in the library, it seemed the right thing to have would be a nice cardigan sweater that could be comfortable, not show dirt too much, and could hang out with me in the library.  Oddly enough, especially in the summer it's nice to have a library sweater. 

Something amazing has happened.  My blue cardigan sweater, which I wore through my MA in Greek and have used through 14 years of teaching classes is actually starting to show wear!  It's only in its 19th year.  But the collar band is starting to come loose.  It's frayed in a few places.  There's a missing button which I haven't been able to find.  

I guess I need to find a way to go to graduate school before this sweater is reduced to rags.  It just seems appropriate, doesn't it?  You go to graduate school, you get a sweater.  Right. In the meantime I'll keep wearing the sweater but I might not wear it out of the office as much as I used to.  Then again, maybe I'll keep wearing it everywhere.  After all, there's a recession on.  I wonder  if I can find another at the Goodwill store?

--
Dave Spotts
blogging at http://capnsaltyslongvoyage.blogspot.com and http://alex-kirk.blogspot.com


No comments: