Saturday, June 26, 2010

Rostered . . . what?

On Monday, June 21, I had an interview with the Clergy Commission of the American Association of Lutheran Churches.  My goal in meeting with these six gentlemen was to let them rummage around in my life and find out if I was someone they would like to have serving a church within the denomination.  The interview was preceded in late April by an extensive questionnaire, a copy of a sermon I had written, and several reference letters.  It was quite a process, preparing the information and thinking through some of the issues of doctrine and practice that showed up on the questionnaire.

After about an hour and a half of fielding interview questions, including a few sweaty-palm and white-knuckle moments, we prayed and they sent me away.

Apparently the interview went well.  The commission, which eliminates many applicants with their application forms and then rejects about a third of those who come before them, accepted me.  So now I'm called a "Rostered Licensed Lay Pastor."  What does that mean?  In its essence it means that I'm approved to minister in Word and Sacraments in an AALC congregation, under supervision of another area pastor, while continuing to take course work within the AALC seminary.  They have an extension program in which I'll be taking close to thirty classes within the next seven years.

I learned of the commission's decision to accept me on Tuesday the 22nd.  On Wednesday the 23rd, the head of the denomination approached me to talk with me about working in parish ministry at a location I can't yet disclose.  The discussion is too preliminary as yet, but it seems fairly positive.  A few minutes after this discussion I was asked by the head of the seminary to come on staff teaching Greek.  On Thursday the 24th I was introduced to many people publicly as someone who is allegedly an expert in Greek and Latin (time to crack those grammars open again).  On Friday the 25th, we took a detour through the town where I may be serving as a pastor.  It looks like an interesting place to live and work.  So that brings me to today, a day dedicated to catching up on email, letting my head stop spinning, and seeing what kind of work I can get done around the house.

It looks like we are headed for some serious life transitions here.  We covet prayers, particularly that we may hold steadfastly to God's Word and trust that our Lord will work in and through our family according to His good pleasure.  I'll try to keep posting updates.  There have been many sudden changes after a time of waiting, seemingly static.  We never know what will happen or when it might happen.

--
Dave Spotts
blogging at http://capnsaltyslongvoyage.blogspot.com and http://alex-kirk.blogspot.com


2 comments:

Timocrat said...

I'm fascinated. But seven years of classes seems like a very large amount. Is this a normal 2 or 4-year seminary degree program spread out over that long, or does the AALC require much more study than is usual? And at the end of this time, is the presumption that you would be ordained?

I'm excited for you, of course, but saddened that TPS might lose its ancient languages instructor if you start teaching at the seminary. I know God will give you wisdom if you trust Him for it, whatever the end result. Looking forward to future developments.

Cap'n Salty said...

Good question, Timothy. The course load is comparable to a normal MDiv program with the exception of Hebrew, which isn't in the requirements. It's spread out over up to seven years, though they are thinking it will take more like five years. Unlike in a resident seminary program, which normally takes three years plus a vicarage year, this spreads the work out a bit and assumes the student will not have as much time to devote to studies due to being in pastoral ministry.
It looks like any Seminary teaching I'll do will be limited to one or two classes at a time. My plan is to remain with TPS, though we'll probably want to bring someone else on as well, since I'll probably have to decrease my TPS involvement, especially if the local church grows and wishes to have me involved for more hours.