Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sermon Outline for Galatians 5.1, 13-25

First a confession and some quick blame-casting on this post.  As you could read from a post earlier today, it was a very busy and eventful week at the AALC Convention.  I had worked out everything carefully.  There was a time slot I had seen I would have a few hours to write a sermon out in detail.  About the start of that time slot, I was suddenly invited to a meeting by someone whose invitation bears the weight of command (Yes, Frank, I know what it means when the commander invites someone to go somewhere.).  As a result, I have a sermon outline, not the entire text of a sermon.  Were I preaching somewhere this Sunday, it would still be from notes, not a complete text.

We look together at Galatians 5.1, 13-25.
We have been set free - - 
   Free?
(sing) "I was sinking deep in sin" - - Whee!!
(sing) "My sin, oh the bliss, of this glorious thought..." 
  Wait a minute!  We are not set free from good works.  We are set free from the works (of the flesh).
  We are set free to something as well, free to bear the fruit (of the Spirit).

Notice the juxtaposition there?  And yes, I love that word "juxtaposition" which is just the right word.  It means "setting two things opposed to each other so you can see how different they are.  Justaposition.  Good word to use.  Looking at the things next to each other to observe the differences.

Notice the juxtaposition?  We have "doing works" opposed to "bearing fruit."  

When we strive to DO, what seems to happen?  Look at those works of the flesh.  See how when we try to do what is right we seem to end up blundering into what is wrong?  Sometimes we don't blunder, either, sometimes we head into it full speed ahead, knowing what's going to happen.  

(Look at some of the works of the flesh and see how we enter into them.)

But let's remember something from Galatians 2.20 (read).  I've been crucified with Christ.  I'm dead.  In Christ my flesh doesn't do the work any more.  I have a different nature than I did before.  What's that nature like?

(Read the fruit of the Spirit.)
On the contrary, like a fruit tree, we who are in Christ simply live that life, nourished by our Savior, bringing forth fruit, allowing people to pick that fruit.

Think about the fruit again.

See how the fruit is expressed in day to day living? 

Let me ask a specific question.  Does the tree bring forth fruit on purpose?  Does it get up in the morning and say, "I'm going to have apples today"?  Not at all.  It is unaware of what it is doing.  It cannot do it on purpose.  No, it is in the nature of the fruit tree to bring forth its fruit.  Likewise, it is in the nature of the Christian to bring forth the fruit of the Spirit.  

What's that fruit of the Spirit good for?  It might be good for me on one level, but in the most important ways, it is good for my neighbor.  Let's get this straight.  Look at the specific fruit of the Spirit.  How does it help my neighbor?  Isn't it good for my neighbor?  Sure is.  This is how I love my neighbor.

Let me ask another question.  What of the fruit of the Spirit is illegal somewhere in the world?  None of it.  Are there laws against being loving?  Any laws against joy?  How about against peace?  No, never.  What country will deny you access because you are gentle?  Is anyone going to convict you because you had self-control?  What if you do good things for people?  Any complaints?  Who is going to give you a hard time because you are patient when you are in a difficult situation?   Nobody. 

When we live as Christians, the Lord produces this fruit in our lives.  It's for our neighbors.  It points our neighbors to Christ, as it is fruit of the Spirit, and the Holy Spirit always points people to Jesus.  This is life-changing fruit.  And the good news is that we can't make it grow.  We just let it grow.

May the Lord fill us with His fruit.  May He nourish our neighbors through it.  May He work His good pleasure, bringing glory to His name, as he uses us to love and serve our neighbors.

--
Dave Spotts
blogging at http://capnsaltyslongvoyage.blogspot.com and http://alex-kirk.blogspot.com


No comments: