Thursday, June 23, 2011

Psalm 139.14-18, 23-24, Proverbs 27.1-24, John 20.1-18 - Lectionary for 6/23/11

Today's readings are Psalm 139.14-18, 23-24, Proverbs 27.1-24, and John 20.1-18.

Our readings today are full of praise for God and the way he has made us, as well as a number of rather miscellaneous proverbs. I'm struck by reading the proverbs about fellowship and mutual edification. For instance, in Proverbs 27.10 we see that a neighbor and close friend is more important than a relative who is far away. In verse 17 we see the oft-quoted proverb of iron sharpening iron. In verses 23-24 we are reminded to take stock of our resources. All this is well and good. However, our Gospel reading reminds us of that which is of primary importance at all times. See how, when Jesus is reported as being missing from the tomb, the disciples come running to search. Mary Magdalene has a confrontation with the risen Lord, who reminds her of the promises he has made. There's the point of utmost importance. All our understanding of God's love, all our mutual edification, it all is to direct us to Jesus, the one who died for us and rose as the firstfruits of the resurrection.

At this time I'm starting to work in my new setting as a pastor of a Lutheran congregation in Illinois. I've got a lot of people to meet. I have a flock to get to know. As I am taking stock of my flocks and herds and they are taking stock of me, may we together look to our Lord and Savior who has risen for us. That's truly job #1.

No comments: