Friday, June 3, 2011

Received by UPS today . . .

a cardboard box! And what was in this cardboard box but a briefcase from Saddleback Leather Company. I'd been eyeing their products for some time and getting a kick out of some of their write-ups. For instance, they have a Bible cover that they point out has a large enough strap that you can both hold your Bible closed and tuck a cigar into the strap as well.

This hundred-year-warranty briefcase looks tough and manly. A significant portion of the profits from the country goes to providing safe water wells for impoverished villages in third world countries. I look forward to migrating my things from the pockets of my current well-worn briefcase that I've been using for the past twelve years into the pockets of this one. It's got just the right appointments for my portable communion set, bottle of oil for anointing the sick and praying for them, a pocket size Bible, migraine remedies, and lots of other stuff.

Since I'll probably never buy another from them I thought I'd give them a plug on my blog. One of the most interesting things in the package was a business card for the company. On the back, along with a picture of an incredible suitcase I could never afford, were two words printed in Greek characters. One word is in Greek, but the other is an English word. Χριστος ρυλες.

I wonder what the people over at Cranach would have to say about Christian vocation of making fine leather products and spending corporate profits to enable people to have safe water to drink? Seems pretty good to me.

No comments: