Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Psalm 11, 2 Samuel 6.1-19, 1 Corinthians 9.1-23 - Lectionary for 8/16/11 - Commemoration of Isaac

Today is the commemoration of Isaac.
Today's readings are Psalm 11, 2 Samuel 6.1-19, and 1 Corinthians 9.1-23.

We often hear suggestions to "become all things to all people" (1 Cor. 9.22b, ESV). This suggestion, however, is often used in defense of a decision to get a tattoo, ride a motorcycle, or grow long hair. It's used by people who want to do something they perceive as edgy. How did Paul use it? He was talking about getting married, having a job, allowing his day-to-day struggles to show, and living in his community in a way that brings glory to God. I wonder if we see the freedom in this? It means that as a Christian in my community I can have a garden. I might want to fire up the grill. I may even want to check books out of the library, go to the opera, and, since I am known as a pastor, I can look like a pastor and join the ministry association in my town. How about taking my kids to the playground? I can do that too. Ahh, the freedom of the Christian life. So next time you want to buy a sweater, remember that you too can become all things to all people.

No comments: