Thursday, August 4, 2011

Psalm 56.1-4, 1 Samuel 18.10-30, Acts 27.27-44 - Lectionary for 8/4/11

Today's readings are Psalm 56.1-4, 1 Samuel 18.10-30, and Acts 27.27-44.

In our passage from 1 Samuel for today we see David's power and authority increasing even as Saul's decreases. What is the difference between these two men? Both are anointed by God as the king of Israel. Both are brilliant and proven military leaders. Yet we see that Saul is concerned with retaining power and David is concerned that God should get the glory and exercise power as he wishes.

What are our desires? Are we jealous for Christ's glory and honor or for our own? Whom do we desire to protect? I can answer for myself. All too often I'm just like Saul. My concern is that my kingdom should come and my will should be done. May the Lord grant me repentance to pray for His kingdom to come and His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.

No comments: