Monday, August 29, 2011

Psalm 17.6-14, 1 Kings 11.42-12.19, 2 Corinthians 7.1-16 - Lectionary for 8/29/11 - Feast of the Martyrdom of St. John the Baptist

Today is the Feast of the Martyrdom of St. John the Baptist.

Today's readings are Psalm 17.6-14, 1 Kings 11.42-12.19, and 2 Corinthians 7.1-16.

"If the shoe fits, wear it." We often look at others' faults and see if we can get them straightened out. As a pastor, this is often the attitude I see among people who come for counsel. The person with a troubled marriage often wants me to "fix" someone else. Can I do this? no, I really can't. What I can do, though, is what Paul mentions in today's reading. I can point out the sinful beliefs and attitudes that we all have. If this leads someone to repentance of sin it has been a success. Why? Because we like to make people miserable? No. Rather, we want to see miserable people reconciled to God. This brings joy, not desolation. May we ever look to our Lord as the redeemer, who grants us forgiveness and restoration when we confront sorrow for our sin. This is true joy indeed.

No comments: