Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Deuteronomy 1.19-36, Matthew 5.21-48 - Lectionary for 9/29/10

Today's readings are Deuteronomy 1.19-36 and Matthew 5.21-48.

We read today of Moses' reminder to the people of Israel that they had just spent forty years in the wilderness due to their unbelief. It seems that whatever God did to show his presence and care for the people they still mistrusted him. It didn't matter that they had walked through the sea on dry land. It didn't matter that they had seen the scary army drowned behind them. It didn't matter that they saw God's presence in the fire by night and the cloud by day. It didn't matter that they had the commandments of God. It didn't matter that they had food to eat and water to drink in a desert. None of this mattered.

I confess that I find myself doubting God's providence, despite all the signs to the contrary. Probably most of us do. It really doesn't matter what our Lord has revealed to us. It really doesn't matter that Jesus has made promises of resurrection to us. It really doesn't matter that Jesus has shown he has power over death by rising to life again. No, it doesn't matter. I stubbornly cling to my doubts, just like I expect my readers do.

Want the good news? God did bring his people into the promised land. He didn't leave them in the desert forever, despite their unbelief. And he's the very same God today. He will work in and through us, despite our unbelief.  "Lord, I believe! Help my unbelief."

--
Dave Spotts
blogging at http://capnsaltyslongvoyage.blogspot.com


No comments: