Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Time for a research paper!

I thought if I put an exclamation point in the topic it might help me be more enthusiastic. Isn't it amazing that when we pay for a class we would really prefer someone just open our heads and pour the information in? But we often learn by writing. I'll remind myself of that many times prior to the paper deadline. I'll post some updates on this blog about the development of my current research paper, which will be written in partial fulfillment of the requirements of an AALC History and Polity course. I don't yet have the deadline, but the quarter ends on November 15, so my guess is I have somewhere around seven weeks to get this paper written. It isn't a long paper, just 15-20 pages. Footnotes, bibliography, topic and a very brief outline and bibliographic suggestions due next week.

So here it goes. From the list of suggested topics, here's what I'm coming up with.

Ecclesiastical Offices and Structure: What are the appropriate and necessary offices of the Church? Examine biblical (that's the period I chose, several were eligible) leadership titles, functions, and authority.

Since I know some of my students watch this blog, I'm going to post some of the development here. I haven't written many research papers since the time when most of my students learned to read, but I do have some experience with it. Maybe they can learn some of what to do or see some of what not to do as they watch it grow.

Why did I choose this topic? I'm a little pressed for time this school year. I thought I'd better pick one of the topics that I had a reasonable amount of background for. While there are several topics on the list which interest me at least as much, maybe more, I realize my time limitations, as well as the limitations of living in a place where I have no access to a decent seminary library. For that matter, there isn't a very good church library around and the local university isn't too well equipped. Many of my most useful books are also packed away in storage as I try to stay prepared for a sudden move. So I need to be very pragmatic in my choice of topics in light of the resources I have available. This fits.

How about a bibliography? I find Kittel's Theological Dictionary of the New Testament  an invaluable resource for work like this. I wonder if it's out of a box somewhere? No. There may be one at the library though. I'll take a look through the appropriate section on Thursday or Friday when I take Hannah to the library after work. Since I'll be working with the biblical text, of course, my United Bible Society Greek New Testament will be very useful, as will be Metzger's textual commentary. I wish I had the new edition of the BDAG lexicon, but I just have the second-newest. It will do. I may do a search to see if anyone like Eusebius has something useful to say about it. Probably a bit of fishing around www.ccel.org will not be entirely wasted. I'm not as familiar with journals as I'd like to be but will fish around some. I'm also hoping that some of my classmates might offer some suggestions. That's a hint to Brigitte and the gentlemen!

I always harp on students about having an outline. I think many students think a paper outline has to be some sort of a big deal. It doesn't. It's just going to direct the flow of the paper so nothing becomes too confused. Here's a thumbnail outline that is rising to the surface.

I Introduction (you should always have one of these, but write it last)
II Body (yes, without a body it will go nowhere)
  A  biblical leadership titles identified
  B  biblical functions of leadership described
  C  analysis of any evident authority structure
  D  Aside from the fact that these are laid out in the Bible, why do they seem appropriate?
  E  What would seem to happen in the absence of such an authority structure?
III Conclusion (write this right before the introduction)

Based on this thumbnail outline I see that there are five basic points plus an introduction and conclusion. Since my target length is 15-20 pages including notes and bibliography I need to think about whether the length will work. We'll want one or two pages for the bibliography and notes. So we need roughly 13-18 pages. Figure on the introduction and conclusion adding up to about a page each or maybe a little less and we need roughly 12-17 pages. Each of the points can be expected to take up about two and a half pages. Considering that there will be some quotations from Scripture, which will consume probably a couple of pages, we really have about two to three and a half pages to discuss each of the points. This seems reasonable and appropriate. I don't think I'll need to find more things to talk about and I don't think I'll need to eliminate anything.

Let's see what happens with the paper! I welcome feedback and suggestions. Especially suggestions for credible research resources, such as books and articles which are available for online viewing, would be great. I certainly don't mind reading theological journals and erudite books in .pdf version or as images in library collections. Those of us who live in the boondocks can't be too picky.

--
Dave Spotts
blogging at http://capnsaltyslongvoyage.blogspot.com


No comments: