Monday, February 21, 2011

Psalm 16.1, 4-6, 9-11, Job 15.1-23, 30-35, John 6.60-71 - Lectionary for 2/20/11

Today's readings are Psalm 16.1, 4-6, 9-11, Job 15.1-23, 30-35, and John 6.60-71.

I'm torn about what to comment on. Maybe I can work both of my two hobby horses in today.  The Psalmist reflects that life is good. I wonder how many times we really think about the blessings we have. By some people's standards, I suppose, I don't have much. We live in an older, inexpensive house. We drive an older car, and have only one. I do some of my clothes shopping at secondhand stores, though other things we'll buy new. We try to get good quality products because they will last better. I don't have a high power career. We have a pretty modest family income. But life is good. We have what we need and some of the special treats we want. We have a happy family. We see God's blessings on us. Life is good, even at the moments when there are struggles. Those struggles remind us of how good things can be. And when I look at some other families it seems our struggles are relatively minor.

In our reading from Job, Eliphaz reminds us that we don't want to trust in ourselves. He's quite right, though he has diagnosed the source of Job's problems incorrectly. So where do we look for this good life the Psalmist talks about?

On to John's Gospel. We look to Jesus, the one who has the words of life. He is the one who we come to know as the Son of God. When in doubt, whom should we trust? Ourselves? No, we look to Jesus. He's the trustworthy one.

--
Dave Spotts
blogging at http://capnsaltyslongvoyage.blogspot.com


No comments: