Thursday, March 24, 2011

Class Wrap-Up

Part of this voyage has involved participating in classes toward a Master of Theological Studies through the American Lutheran Theological Seminary. I'm wrapping up the third of the twenty-seven courses they would like me to complete. It'll take a while. That's what happens, I suppose, when you participate in a program that has one course at a time. 

In the past ten weeks I've read a good bit of Church History - particularly an overview text Church History in Plain Language by Bruce L. Shelley (not a text I can recommend). My research during the course involved reading Hippolytus' Apostolic Tradition. I've posted a summary of the text previously. The paper I've completed is related to Irenaeus' Against Heresies, a text from the late second century.

I'm not sure how much I like this paper. There are areas I'd improve on, maybe considerably, if it weren't for time constraints and the fact that I've got a teaching job to do and am filling in as a pastor. We're in a busy time of year here. Add the migraine after migraine I've had lately, and I finally decided just to get something together which could be turned in.

If anyone wants to read my paper, it's available in .doc format at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23575548/ChurchHistory2011Spotts.doc - I'll leave it there for a few weeks. No, it's not for sale. If you want a paper about Irenaeus, pick up the text and read it. His work, unlike mine, is definitely worth reading.


--
Dave Spotts
blogging at http://capnsaltyslongvoyage.blogspot.com


No comments: